[kaffe] Compare kaffe and IBMJava2-131 Java Virtual Machine.

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 07:49:02 PST 2003

hi Greg,

thanks for the long and interesting reply.

--- Greg Wooledge <greg at wooledge.org> wrote:
> Dalibor Topic (robilad at yahoo.com) wrote:

> was removed from CVS recently, I no longer get that
> particular one;
> but I'm still getting this one occasionally:
>
> assertion "!INTS_DISABLED()" failed: file
> "exception.c", line 398

After a long time running, I guess. Godmar and Kevin
have suggested earlier that this might be a problem
with memory corruption.

> However, I'm getting dramatically *fewer* crashes
> with CVS Kaffe
> than I did when I started using Kaffe (1.0.7).
> (It's also worth
> mentioning that Kaffe 1.0.6 and earlier will not
> work with Freenet
> at all.  The OpenBSD Kaffe port is still 1.0.6, and
> therefore less
> than useful for me.)
>
> In terms of memory usage, a long-running Freenet
> node creeps continually
> upward.  I've got the ulimits set so that Freenet
> cannot exceed 256 MB
> of memory, and I'm running the java command with
> "-mx 224M".  After
> a few days, it will hit this limit (if it doesn't
> crash first).  It's
> not supposed to do that; Linux users report that
> Freenet's memory usage
> under Sun's Java VM remains steady at something like
> 30 MB (depending
> on which build of Freenet is being used, which
> version of the Java VM,
> etc.).

Hm, this might be some kind of a 'memory leak' in the
java libraries.

Could you rebuild kaffe with debugging enabled, and
run it with

kaffe -vmdebug GCSTAT,GCDIAG -verbosegc -verbosemem
your-class 2>gc-stats.txt

and put the compressed file somewhere? I'd like to
take a look at who's using all that memory.

GCDIAG could also help finding GC problems that might
have caused the above memory corruption related crash.