[kaffe] JIT3 Questions

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Mon Mar 10 07:03:01 PST 2003

I've been looking at the problem with JIT3 on MIPS platforms,
and have come across something distinctly suspicious that I know
how to fix in the abstract.  I could use some guidance from other
more experienced JIT hands as to how to best deal with it in practice.

In the generated function prologue in config/mips/jit3-mips.def,
we have...

=============== Begin Source Fragment ================
define_insn(prologue, prologue_xxC) {
        label* l;
        Method* meth;
        int limit;
        int haveint;
        int j;
        int i;
        int fi;
        int a;

        /* Max_args is the maximum number of arguments this method pushed
         * onto the stack (allowing for alignment).  We always allow for
         * the 4 argument registers.
         */
        max_args = NR_ARGUMENTS;

        debug_name(("prologue:\n"));

        /* Save and move sp, fp & r31 */
        insn_RRR(_ADDU, REG_i1, REG_fp, REG_i0);
        insn_RRR(_ADDU, REG_fp, REG_sp, REG_i0);

        /* Remember where the framesize should go */
        l = (label*)const_int(1);
        l->type = Lframe|Labsolute|Lgeneral;
        l->at = (uintp)CODEPC;

        insn_RRC(_ADDIU, REG_sp, REG_sp, 0); /* framesize */
        ldst_RRC(_SW, REG_ra, REG_fp, -4); /* save $ra */
        ldst_RRC(_SW, REG_i1, REG_fp, -8); /* save old $fp */
        ldst_RRC(_SW, REG_gp, REG_fp, -12); /* save $gp */

        debug(("        mov     i1,fp\n"));
        debug(("        mov     fp,sp\n"));
        debug(("        addiu   sp,sp,-framesize\n"));
        debug(("        sw      ra,-4(fp)\n"));
        debug(("        sw      i1,-8(fp)\n"));
        debug(("        sw      gp,-12(fp)\n"));

#if defined(USE_JIT_CONSTANT_POOL)
        /* Get pointer to constant pool */
        insn_RRR(_ADDU, CONSTPOOL_BASE, REG_i25, REG_i0);
        ldst_RRC(_SW, REG_gp, REG_fp, -16);
        debug(("        move    gp,i25\n"));
        debug(("        sw      gp,-16(fp)\n"));
#endif

        /* Save callee save regs */
        for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
                ldst_RRC(_SW, REG_s0+i, REG_fp, -SLOTSIZE*(5+i));
                debug(("        sw      %s,%d(fp)\n",regname(REG_s0+i),-SLOTSIZE*(4+i)));
        }
================== End Source Fragment =======================

Now, as it happens, the offset generated to save register $16, i=0 in the "for"
loop above, ends up being -16.  Which is to say, if USE_JIT_CONSTANT_POOL
is defined (which it is by default), the same storage location in the frame is used for
both $16 and $25.  Unfortunately, if I undefine USE_JIT_CONSTANT_POOL
in jit.h, where it is defined, the resulting JIT doesn't work.  In the abstract, it should
be a simple problem of upping the frame size by 8 bytes (8 not 4, to preserve alignment),
and using a new offset for $25.  However, in the code above, the frame size seems
to be generated automagically to replace a zero constant in the instruction generation
macro with some method-dependent frame size that I speculate somehow already
allows for some number of saved registers in the frame.  Where is this defined?
Are the offsets into the frame for the con
Is the relationship between the saved register context and other values on the
frame fixed, such that I cannot insert a new storage element between them?
I've been trying to code something really sneaky to save/restore the register
"behind the back" of the rest of the frame management code in a sort of
sub-frame, but the first cut at that doesn't work, and frankly, it's not what
I would consider to be wholesome coding.  How can I adjust the total frame
size to add a new element?

            Kevin K.