[kaffe] How can I build kaffe with awt-qt for mips-linux system.

정종진 mozzalt at keti.re.kr
Thu May 1 19:59:01 PDT 2003

Dear Kaffe experts

I am a novice about kaffe, so I have many difficulties in porting kaffe on Cougar-L for mips.
I am referring to Kaffe mailing list, it is very helpful to me.

But now, I have  problems in porting kaffe.
My system environment is the following.

1. Kaffe V : 1.07 	( it is updated from kaffe CVS repository )
2. Development Board  :  TeraLogic Cougar-L Board
3. OS : Linux (2,4,17) ,
4. CPU : mips-R5000
5. awt  : qt-3.0.7
6. cross-compiler toolchain : SGI cross-compiler tool chain
                             mips-linux-gcc(egcs-2.91.66), mips-linux-g++, etc..
7. confirue option?:  	export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-3.0.7
    CC=mips-linux-gcc CFLAGS="-mcpu=r5000" \
    CXX=mips-linux-g++ CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=r5000"  \
    /root/kaffe/configure \
    --with-engine=intrp \
    --with-jikes='yes' \
--host=mips-pc-linux-gnu --target=mips-pc-linux-gnu
--build=mips-pc-linux-gnu \
--with-includes=/usr/mips-linux/include \
--with-libraries=/usr/mips-linux/lib \
    --with-awt=qt --with-qtdir=$QTDIR \
    --without-alsa --without-esd --disable-sound \
    --disable-debug --disable-xprofiling--disable-xdebugging \
    --disable-feedback --without-profiling \
    --without-stats --disable-gcj

I proceeded a building kaffe step by step, referring kaffe recommend document.

1. But I first encountered with ‘SIZE OF DATA_TYPE’ ERROR in ‘ include/jtypes.h’ and config/config.h. I found all ‘SIZE OF DATA_TYPE is defined as ‘0’ in two filess(‘jtypes.h’ and ‘config.h’). So I replaced zero size of data types with the following sizes ( int =4, long=4, long_long=8, short=2, voidp=4, int64=0), it makes no errors.
  Now I wonder that other solution is or not ?

2. Also, during building kaffe, ‘parsing ‘ssize_t error’ in config/config-mem.h. So I replaced ‘ssize_t’ with ‘size_t’, it makes no errors. Is my solution is correct?
1) I don’t know where I can download jikes 1.18 for mips-linux
2) I don’t know how I can compile jikes 1.18 and use compiled jikes 1.18 in configuring kaffe.
If I success in building kaffe, how I can setup kaffe for mips in target board.
1) Is any work to run kaffe in target? (e.g. classpath register etc.)

Thanks for reading my mail and I hope many kaffe-experts help me.
Thanks and regards.