[kaffe] kaffe m68k jit patch

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Fri May 9 08:33:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:01:05AM -0700, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Hi,

> > done a clean build, what surprised me a bit is that /path/rt.jar must
> > be an absolute path in the configure command..
>
> hmm, is there a better way to do it? I'm quite new to the whole auto* tools
> thing, and I'm still on the learning curve. ;)

not my strong subject either.

> > this means jit is used instead of jit3? What is the difference anyway,
> > I am slightly confused about this.
>
> kaffe -fullversion should tell you what engine it uses. You can specifuy the
> engine on the configure line using --with-engine=jit3. I'm not sure what it
> picks up by default on m68k-linux, but I'd guess it's jit3.

it says:

Engine: Just-in-time   Version: 1.1.x-cvs   Java Version: 1.1
Configuration/Compilation options:
  Compile date  : Mon Apr 28 20:09:14 CEST 2003
  Compile host  : sirizidl.dialin.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
  Install prefix: /usr
  Thread system : unix-jthreads
  CC            : /root/bin/gcc
  CFLAGS        : -g -fno-omit-frame-pointer

so I guess I should try jit3 before starting to debug anything?

Hm.. right now it says:
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... (cached) no
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... (cached) no
creating libtool
checking for _ prefix in compiled symbols... (cached) no
configure: error: Configuration m68k-linux does not support the jit3 engine

> > Btw any experience installing it on a Redhatish system? Installation
> > conflicts with "jdkgcj" package which defines /usr/bin/java. and
> > possibly /usr/include/jni.h
>
> I don't have a RedHat system around to test, I'll get me some ISOs and try. How
> does the conflict show up?

I've built it using a sligthly modified rpm specfile taken form RH 7.3,
the mentioned files would conflict with the jdkgcj package.
Anyway how does kaffe interact with gcj? The docs on this subject don´t
appear to be very recent.

Richard