[kaffe] Re: 1.1.0 wishlist

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 07:04:01 PDT 2003

hi Jim,

--- Jim Pick <jim at kaffe.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:21, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > I think the old plan is still in place, with feature freeze on 2003-05-18,
> and
> > release on 2003-06-01. I'm behind the schedule on getting the features and
> > fixes in, but the top priority bit for me, make dist, now works, and I've
> > upgraded everything to latest auto* tools & libtool.
>
> Good work on that, by the way!

Thanks, but I was just following in Dan's footsteps who did that months ago :)

> One idea I've got for the "make dist" target would be to generate the
> rt.jar during the make dist phase, and use that for non-CVS compiles.  I
> don't know how much work that is though -- it wouldn't be the end of the
> world if we don't distribute a rt.jar.

That's the way it was before, and I didn't like it very much. It required
configuring kaffe to use jikes in order to be able to generate rt.jar for make
dist. I may have misunderstood it, but I think the 'usual' way to run make dist
is to

./configure && make dist

and that would fail, since there was no kaffe VM ready to run kjc.

The other problem I had was that the class library was rebuilt anyway, since
the generated Makefile was younger than shipped rt.jar. I think Tim solved that
for JanosVM, so he may know how to fix it.

> > * non-essential features:

> I'll try to get some DocBook stuff ready for the freeze on Sunday.  I'm
> quite interested in that little part of the project.  I've got some
> DocBook stuff for other projects that works, so it shouldn't be too
> hard.

Then I'll happily leave checking in Edouard's porting guide to you, since it's
in DocBook, too ;)

> I have been working on some webapps though that I'd like to put up
> there.  One of the first things I want to do is put in searchable web
> archives, and a code browser thing I've been working on (which needs
> JSTL, and Tomcat 4).  In the longer term I'd like to hook in a bug
> tracker and some automated reports -- eg. benchmarks, regression testing
> (ours and Mauve), and maybe even set up a Jakarta Gump system.  I also
> want to resurrect my failed attempt at doing the Kaffe Weekly News -
> I've got some ideas on how to largely automate it.

That sounds great. Have you had a chance to take a look at Maven? It could
provide a nice framework for some of it.

Oh, and I miss the weeklies ... ;)

> It sounds like we're getting close to getting Tomcat 4 going.   I'm
> going to take another stab at it this weekend (or before).

I'm crossing my fingers for Helmer's next patch. Maybe tomcat4 can succeed
where eclipse fails ;)