[kaffe] Host Porting Interface

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 06:00:01 PDT 2003

Hallo Ronald,

--- Ronald Aigner <ra3 at os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just read a paper about some issues in the "Host Porting Interface (HPI)"
> of
> Sun's JVM implementation. (Its about mapping Java threads to native threads,
> having a closer look at priorities ...).

The only reference to HPI I could find was
http://java.sun.com/j2me/docs/pdf/CDCFoundation_Porting_Guide.pdf . Is that the
one you are talking about.

> Is there something like the HPI available in kaffe, or is kaffe's HPI the
> located in the config directory of the source tree?
> Greetings, Ron.

Edouard's porting guide is a good start:

http://egp.free.fr/port-kaffe/port-kaffe-0.2.html

There is the config/cpu/os directory. That's where definitions of system call
macros, thread stack size, stack pointer offset, jit and interpreter
instruction set definitions, etc. go. If your platform doesn't offer a unix'ish
API, you'll have to implement your own threading system under
kaffe/kaffevm/system/. You'll also have to define threadsafe functions for
performing unix'ish operations defined in include/jsyscalls.h in
kaffe/kaffevm/system/your-system/syscall.c. If you want to use the AWT and your
platform does not have a supported AWT subsytem, you'll need to port the AWT as
well ;)

If you go ahead, port kaffe to a new platform, and decide to write some docs
that complement those by Edouard, ... well, you know where to send them ;)