[kaffe] Makefile for java.nio

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 01:45:01 PDT 2003

Salut Daniel,

--- Daniel Bonniot <Daniel.Bonniot at inria.fr> wrote:

> >I am verry sorry.  I forgot to add new files to
> libraries/javalib/Makefile.in
> >when I copied some files from GNU Classpath.
> >
> >Please get the newest version of Kaffe from CVS and try again.
> >

> Thanks a lot. Surprisingly, it seemed to work even without that (it was
> the old files in gnu.java.nio that failed to compile, and that Dalibor
> removed). I don't know enough about Kaffe's build to know why. Is it
> really necessary to list all source files in the Makefile?

You can find some information about how the class library build works in
FAQ.classlibrary-compile. In essence, it works via profile directories, that
contain lists of batches of files to compile together. That allows you to
customize the class library fairly easily on a relatively crude level, by
removing or adding classes. So your 'i don't need nio , and it crashes
compiling' problem could have been worked around by removing the line
'nio.files' in libraries/javalib/profiles/default/profile in the best case
(i.e. no files compiled later depend on its classes. kjc only compiles files
one tells it to compile, whereas jikes and Sun's javac are greedy, and just
compile the missing files as well).

Listing all source files in Makefile.am makes it simple for make dist to pick
them all up when it creates the distribution tarball ;) It also enforces
rebuilding of the class library once a file is modified.