Release freeze tomorrow? (Was: Re: [kaffe] Re: Makefile for java.nio)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 02:09:01 PDT 2003

Salut Daniel,

--- Daniel Bonniot <Daniel.Bonniot at inria.fr> wrote:

> >I haven't tried it with jikes yet, but I've just checked in a fix that
> worked
> >for me on kjc.
> >
> Thanks, it works with jikes too.
>
> So I can now report that kaffe built correctly, and make check reports
> no error (only TestNative.java was SKIP'ed, is that normal?).

it's skipped, unless you build kaffe with --enable-debug.

> Furthermore, it could by used to bootstrap my Nice compiler
> (http://nice.sf.net). So as far as I am concerned, kaffe 1.1 can be
> released ;-)

that's some good news. ;)

> What are the plans when approaching the release (still on June 1st?).
> Will there be a release candidate? A CVS freeze, so people can do a last
> test?

Here's my list of things that remain to be done:
* check reported build problems with qt (me)
* fix KAFFE_DEBUG_TEMPFILE security problems using mktemp (me)
* check in QPE fixes from jim huang (me)
* check in fix for libtool.m4 for m68k-amiga from tony (me)

* fix whatever problems remain with make dist and make distcheck
* update FAQ.autoconf to recommend latest versions of the tools
* update FAQ.unicode to reflect that kaffe uses Classpath's implementation now
* look into the latest freenet crash traces

If anyone could write a few manpages for kaffe tools other than kaffe (and
update kaffe.1 to reflect the current state of affairs, like the options added
in the last 3 years ;), that would be great, too.

If we could get most of that done today, freeze tomorrow and create a rc1
tarball, and release until the weekend, I'd be very impressed ;) Jim, do you
have time to organize the release?

> Cheers,
>
> Daniel
>
> PS: Dalibor, I saw in CVS that you wrote FAQ.mauve, thanks. It did not
> appear yet on the web site, though.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll put it on the web. ;)