[kaffe] Cygwin signal handling (or lack thereof) and kaffe cvs

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 7 06:46:02 2003

Hi,

I just went to try the latest kaffe cvs, when I noticed a critical issue
in the build process.  What, may I ask, are those of us using Cygwin
supposed to do now that there is a `#error' directive in our md.h?  I
assure you that sigcontext will *NOT* be implemented anytime soon
(trying to emulate POSIX signals via Windows signals is extremely
complicated).  I'm also certain this will also affect other non-linux
platforms which use newlib.  Why can't kaffe fall back to the prior
signal handling when sigcontext is absent instead of being so heavy
handed as to drop an #error directive (like it used to)?  Tons of other,
possibly more complex, projects seem to cope quite will without advanced
signal handling.  So what makes it so necessary now?  Yes, I understand
that java needs access to lowlevel routines at times, but you don't see
this approach being done in libjava/gcj.  IMHO, these recent changes
make kaffe terribly unportable, which is something I thought most
developers strive to avoid.  Sorry if this sounds negative, but previous
efforts led me to believe that making kaffe portable was one of its goals.

Cheers,
Nicholas