[kaffe] Cygwin signal handling (or lack thereof) and kaffe cvs

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem@kaffe.org
Tue Nov 11 08:55:03 2003

Jim Pick wrote:

>Hi Nicholas,
>
>On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:41:38 -0500
>Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I just went to try the latest kaffe cvs, when I noticed a critical issue
>>in the build process.  What, may I ask, are those of us using Cygwin
>>supposed to do now that there is a `#error' directive in our md.h?  I
>>assure you that sigcontext will *NOT* be implemented anytime soon
>>(trying to emulate POSIX signals via Windows signals is extremely
>>complicated).  I'm also certain this will also affect other non-linux
>>platforms which use newlib.
>>

>This was done by Guilhem Lavaux as part of the process of switching over
>to the Classpath I/O libraries.  I haven't visited the problem myself,
>so I hope he can comment on the technical details.

It's not completely because of classpath's IO: I'm just using the
multithread core of kaffe and haven't touched to the logic of signal
handling. The real problem comes from interrupt in jthread.c: to be able
to handle JVMPI you need the current "exception frame" through signal
parameters. I don't even know if it can be turned around... Actually I
had a look at Cygwin internals a few months ago and apparently they have
the pointer we need in some place but they've decided not to put it in a
parameter so we're blocked... I'll try to find another solution when I
have some time (no prediction about that sorry).

Cheers,
Guilhem.