[kaffe] Kaffe and newer make tools

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Nov 23 09:51:02 PST 2003

Hi James,

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> thanks for doing the work! I'm holding off from those versions of
> autotools for the reasons listed below. But I'll check in the parts of
> your patch that make sense with the tools we're using at the moment.

Well, I've changed my mind ;) I've asked around on the automake mailing
list, and apparently automake 1.7.9 works with autoconf 2.58 for most
people, so I'll switch kaffe to that.

While doing so, I noticed that even after applying your patch to
configure.in, developers/autogen.sh produces a lot more warnings than it
used to do. Here's a small list:

* configure.in:138: warning: The macro `AC_HELP_STRING' is obsolete.

libtool 1.5 uses that. Will be fixed when libtool 1.6 comes out, I
think. Also used by lib-prefix.m4 from iconv testing macros. Will be
fixed as I update those macros.

* configure.in:138: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_LINK' is obsolete.

iconv.m4 and lib-link.m4 are to blame in this case. So iconv testing
macros need to be updated, if there is a new iconv release out. This
macro is also used by libtool.m4, which will be fixed by libtool 1.6,
and valist.m4, which comes from quakeforge.

* configure.in:138: warning: back quotes and double quotes must not be
escaped in: $as_me:$LINENO: error: tag name \"$tagname\" already exists
configure.in:138: warning: back quotes and double quotes must not be
escaped in: $as_me: error: tag name \"$tagname\" already exists

libtool.m4 is to blame.

* configure.in:138: warning: The macro `AC_LANG_SAVE' is obsolete.

libtool.m4 is to blame.

* configure.in:138: warning: instead of using `AC_LANG', `AC_LANG_SAVE',
configure.in:138: and `AC_LANG_RESTORE', you should use `AC_LANG_PUSH'
and `AC_LANG_POP'.

libtool.m4 is to blame.

* configure.in:150: warning: The macro `AC_FD_CC' is obsolete.

libtool.m4 is to blame.

* configure.in:552: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling
* configure.in:553: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling
* configure.in:554: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling
* configure.in:555: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling
* configure.in:556: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling
* configure.in:557: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE called without default to
allow cross compiling

Looks like a bug in autoconf 2.58. AC_CHECK_SIZEOF is used correctly
here, as far as I can tell.

* configure.in:976: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_LINK' is obsolete.
configure.in:976: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_COMPILE' is obsolete.

iconv.m4 is to blame.

* configure.in:990: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_COMPILE' is obsolete.

sockaddrin6.m4, herrno.m4, in6addr.m4, sockinttypes.m4 are the culprits
here.

I've looked at the libiconv CVS, and it doesn't have updated files yet,
so I'll get in touch with them if they would like to see patches that
remove those warnings. I'll also get in touch with other upstreams for
out *.m4 macros to see if there are any updates yet. I'll leave libtool
out for now, as there should be a new release coming out soon, as the
rumour goes, once automake 1.8 is out. I'm doing my bit to get automake
1.8 out by testing automake 1.7d on as many platforms I can get my hands on.