[kaffe] Re: gnu-crypto.m4. was: new jalopy available

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Nov 23 10:23:12 PST 2003

Hi Raif,

Raif S. Naffah wrote:

> hello Dalibor,
>
> (i'm cc-ing GNU Crypto)
>
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:51 am, Dalibor Topic wrote:

>>p.s. is there some kind of gnu-crypto.m4 file for automake to add a
>>--with-gnu-crypto option to it? I'd love having a simple way to chuck
>>in GNU crypto into kaffe without having to bother with those weird
>>U.S. crypto laws, as kaffe's CVS server is located in California.
>

> no there isnt but i'm happy to work with you on making one.

Great!

> things to consider are:
>
> * building gnu crypto is effectively building three jars/libraries: one
> is the gnu-crypto per se (incl. the JCE Adapters), the other two are
> javax-crypto and javax-security (callbacks and sasl).

So we have three seperate jar files, right? Then we need a way to put
those in the bootclasspath of the calling VM. The VM will need to figure
out the location of the jar files to add to it's bootclasspath.

Let's say we have

--with-gnu-crypto[=PATH-TO-JAR-LOCATION]

as an API.

Maybe even a
--with-gnu-crypto-cvs=PATH-TO-GNU-CRYPTO-CVS-CHECKOUT

API later for those among us who like building from CVS checkouts ;)

So basically, I'm thinking about two APIs (macros), one for JARs, and
another for rebuilding GNU Crpyto from CVS. I'll concentrate in the
first, as that one seems to be easier to do as a prototype, and with
lessons from that one, it should be easier to build the other.

> * once installed in a location (default is /usr/local/gnu-crypto) it
> should be straightforward to construct the different options/switches
> needed by the kaffe build script from the contents of that location.

I have the following in mind:

--with-gnu-crypto should set USE_GNU_CRYPTO as an autoconf variable, and
PATH_TO_GNU_CRYPTO_JARS. Then, we can use one to check if kaffe should
use GNU crypto, and the other to adapth the bootclasspath in the kaffe
driver script, kaffe.in.

> * it would be nice to be able to re-use most, if not all, of the
> generated options/switches of such an m4 library with other VM
> providers; e.g. kissme and jikes rvm.

The options/switches depend on the options/switches from the GNU crypto
configure.in you want the projects utilising GNU Crypto to be able to
change. If there are any of them that make sense once you've uild the
JAR files, we should list a set of --enable-gnu-crypto-something
switches to allow the VM to enable those features.

> if you think this is worth it, let's continue this thread on the GNU
> Crypto list.

I've cc:ed the kaffe mailing list, as I assume kaffe will provide the
testbed for this type of integration.

> p.s. if there is a Debian packager out there who is capable/willing to
> help us deliver the library as a debian package, pls. let me know.

Wasn't Morgon Kanter working on that? [1] What happened to that effort?

[1]
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-crypto-discuss/2003-06/msg00035.html