[kaffe] about wait and notify

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at virgilio.it
Mon Nov 24 00:09:02 PST 2003

Hi to everyone,
I've got a doubt about the behaviour of wait/notify methods at the JVM level.
This doubt came in my mind after I noticed a misbehaving program which was
using such methods. By the way here's the problem: running a program which
executes a notify() call on a monitor, I noticed two different behavior
between kaffe and sun JVM. While the former (1.0.5) executes rightly, that
means suspend the notifier thread and resume waiting threads just after the
notify call, the latter didn't: it continued the execution of the notifier
thread untill re-schedulation.
Now I'd like to know if this is true (i.e., the two JVMs act differently on
thread synchronization) and is a design aspect. If so can anybody tell me why
there's this difference?

Thanks,
Luca

--