[kaffe] FreeBSD/alpha and kaffe

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Oct 5 07:00:04 PDT 2003

Gian Luca Decurtins wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm new to this list and I hope it's the right one to ask a question.
>
> How can I port kaffe to FreeBSD on alpha? I saw that there is NetBSD
> support for alpha systems. Is it difficult to add FreeBSD support?
> Maybe you could give me a hint and I could try to make it myself. :)

It shouldn't be too hard, given that freebsd ports to another platform
already exists (i386), and kaffe has been ported to alpha, and there is
a fairly well working alpha-netbsd port.

Basically, take a look at the linux & netbsd files under config/alpha/*,
figure out the right settings for SIGNAL_ARGS and friends, and figure
out the right setting for  SP_OFFSET by running developers/sp_offset.c.
Try to get the interpreter to work first, without shared libraries.
Looking at config/i386/freebsd2/md.h, I guess you may need to save the
floating point registers in the signal context, so you may need to write
some assembly there, and do some research.

Oh, and read the documentation on
http://www.kaffe.org/documentation.shtml , especially the porting guide.
  And come back often to ask questions ;)

good luck,