[kaffe] Re: Java and testing release

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Oct 5 12:09:01 PDT 2003

Hi Ricky,

I've CC:ed Arnaud, as he's very active in the debian-java community.

Ricky Clarkson wrote:
> Er, I found this on the debian-java mailing list and thought you guys
> might be interested.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ricky.
>
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:26:55PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I was just reading the bug list email and I spotted two java packages
>>are marked for removal from testing.  I don't really use java much
>>myself these days, so I thought I'd wave them at this list.
>>
>>orp is being removed because of a bug that looks quite fully diagnosed
>>at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=185881 but not
>>fixed.  It hasn't been acknowledged by the maintainer according to
>>http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2003/debian-release-200308/msg00025.html
>> This wasn't mentioned in the 27 Aug bug list.  It might be a recent REMOVE
>>list addition.
>>
>>kaffee is still being removed because of more complex reasons, it
>>seems, from
>>http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2003/debian-release-200304/msg00022.html
>> Please take a look at http://bugs.debian.org/src:kaffe and see if you can
>>help.  This was discussed in the last Java RC bug list on this list.

well, it's been marked to be removed for quite a while now.
Unfortunately, no kaffe 1.1.x package has ever made it into testing so
far, due to bugs during the build on some platforms. While some are
getting fixed, others pop up ;)

I assume the reason it's being marked [remove] is a security bug against
an old version (1.0.5). That one was fixed, but unfortunately the fix
didn't build anymore on some platforms.

To make a long story short, I hope that the upcoming 1.1.2 will finally
make it past testing, as it should fix the huge compilation issues
almost everyone not using i386-linux or i386-freebsd2 had.

To cite debian's bug tracker:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=src&data=kaffe&archive=no&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done&sev-inc=critical&sev-inc=grave&sev-inc=serious

Serious policy violations - outstanding (3 bugs)

     * #197617: kaffe_1:1.0.5e-1(m68k/stable/poseidon): FTBFS, missing
build-dep
       Package: kaffe; Severity: serious; Reported by: Stephen R Marenka
<stephen at marenka.net>; Tags: woody; 111 days old.

	Needs Ean to add a dependency to the package apparently, so that it can
build again.

     * #205327: kaffe_1:1.1.1-2: FTBFS: missing terminating character
       Package: kaffe; Severity: serious; Reported by: Bdale Garbee
<bdale at gag.com>; Tags: help, patch; 52 days old.

	Fixed in current kaffe CVS, I hope. Except for the crash during
compilation of class library on alpha, which needs someone on
alpha-linux to hack it back into shape.

     * #208025: kaffe: man page misplaced (under /usr/lib/kaffe)
       Package: kaffe; Severity: serious; Reported by: "Aaron M. Ucko"
<ucko at debian.org>; Tags: patch; 35 days old.

	Debian specific bug, a patch is there.

So it's not as bleak as it seems. ;) It would be great if the debian
developers could get an updated 1.0.5 out of the door, and then proceed
to wrap up 1.1.2 when it's out.