[kaffe] Kaffe 1.1.2 "Development" Release available for download

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Tue Oct 7 01:18:02 PDT 2003

I've made the 1.1.2 release of Kaffe available for download at:

  ftp://ftp.kaffe.org/pub/kaffe/v1.1.x-development/kaffe-1.1.2.tar.gz
  http://www.kaffe.org/ftp/pub/kaffe/v1.1.x-development/kaffe-1.1.2.tar.gz

As this is a development release, it is essentially a snapshot of
what's happening in CVS, with limited testing.  Even though this is
not a production release, it contains a lot of improvements over
1.0.7, which was release over half a year ago.  I anticipate that most
people will have less trouble with this release.

Here are some highlights of new things done since the last development
release:

  * New packages:
   * javax.net
   * javax.net.ssl
  * Lots of configuration/compile fixes, including: arm-linux,
    parisc-hpux, parisc-linux, sparc-solaris.
  * Improved RMI, JVMPI, java.text and NIO support.
  * Improved garbage collector and jit3 memory consumption.
  * Further merge with GNU Classpath: Collections, many networking,
    IO and zip classes.
  * Fixes for several bugs in kjc.
  * Improved support for building without GNU make.
  * Lots of bug fixes, compiler warning fixes, and small
    improvements.
  * Some successes: Tomcat4, eXist, JavaLayer, JOrbis.

Most of the verifier code was checked in, but it is not enabled by
default yet, as it requires some further work.  The focus of the
recent development was largely related to migrating our class
libraries over to Classpath.  A side-effect has been that a lot
of the non-mainstream ports have seen regression, and will need
some additional work before they will be functional again.

We're going to try to stick to the schedule of doing a development
release every two months, culminating in a heavily tested "production"
release (1.2.0) in early 2004.

Bug reports, comments and patches are always welcome -- send them to
the team at kaffe at kaffe.org.

Have fun!

Cheers,

 - Jim