[kaffe] Revisiting the class library build system

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Sat Oct 11 02:08:02 PDT 2003

Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Dalibor !

> with 1.1.2 out of the door, I think it's the appropriate time to
> revisit our class library build system once more. ;)
>
> While the current build system works all right in most cases, it
> doesn;t fully utilize make's dependency checking. So if you change a
> java class source file to fix a bug, you need to recompile the whole
> class library. That's quite expensive when all you've got to build
> java classes is kjc, and you're running on the interpreter engine.
> Especially if you decide to interrupt your build in the middle of the
> class library compilation. ;)

I am personnally totally for that sort of revisiting. These dependency
fixes are quite annoying and time consuming. If we had a way to make it
fully automatic introducing new classes in the CVS would be really easy.
This only leaves for me 2 drawbacks:
* presence of quite a big file in the CVS
* and maybe the time for GNU make to parse and check the dependency tree
when building.

But personally the advantages are so important that I would just forget
these two.

Cheers,
Guilhem.