[kaffe] Re: [Classpathx-xml] Unwanted SAXParseException

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 18 22:10:21 PDT 2003

>>The basic issue is that applying _any_ heuristic at that level
>>is going to fail badly in some cases.  Throwing an exception is
>>at least an indication that the inputs were bad.  And AElfred2
>>was at least reporting a warning about what was wrong, before
>>throwing the exception.
>

> In situations like this I always think that some sort of switchable
> property system works well.

I don't necessarily mind such things in a compiler, but
here it'd seem like overkill to me ... :)

> The fact that we've had a query from a user might imply that we're
> not being as helpful in this situation as we might be. So it might be
> a good idea to add something switchable for this.

Agreed about not being as helpful as we should be.  I was more thinking
that the warning needed to be beefed up.  It was:

    SAXParseException: URI was not reported to parser for entity [dtd]

A check like the one reporting that could be moved right after the resolver
is called, at which point it could say clearly "your resolver is broken".
Maybe even report it as an error -- earlier is usually better.

I'd fix it but my CVS somehow got disconnected and I've not made time
to sort it out.

- Dave