[kaffe] java.net.URI.toURL patch

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Oct 23 09:26:03 PDT 2003

Hi Robin,

Robin Green wrote:
> Attached is a tiny patch to implement URI.toURL. Where is the best
> place to send such tiny patches?

Thanks a lot for the patch, it looks good to me.

Before I apply it, since this your first patch to kaffe, according to
our ChangeLog, I need your confirmation that you're not 'tainted', i.e.
have looked at Sun's sources, decompiled their class libraries, or
signed an NDA preventing you from contributing to a free java effort. It
may sound like too much legalese, but we need to protect you and
ourselves from somebody pulling an SCO on us. ;)

See http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html#SEC2 for
more information on Classpath's definition of clean-room conditions.
They are the same for kaffe, except that we don't ask for copyright
assignment to the FSF. Though if you keep contributing good patches, I'm
sure the Classpath developers would ask you for a copyright assignment,
and welcome you in their (our ;) community. ;)

Since your code is a contribution to a class coming from GNU Classpath,
I'm sure the classpath developers would appreciate receiving the patch
as well. You can post the  patch to the classpath mailing list, or the
classpath patch submission web form. In my experience, the mailing list
is a better forum for quick replys ;)

For kaffe, please continue to post your patches to the mailing list.
They are most welcome!