[kaffe] OOM and jit3

Timothy Stack stack at cs.utah.edu
Sat Oct 25 18:13:02 PDT 2003

On Oct 25, 2003, at 11:57 AM, Jim Pick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get Kaffe to get as much of Jakarta Gump to compile as I
> can.
>
>   http://kaffe.org/~jim/gump/log/
>
> I encountered this while trying to build xml-xalan2:
>
> kaffe-bin: ../../../../kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/seq.c:60: nextSeq:
> Assertion `sc != ((void *)0)' failed.
>
> Looking at the code, it seems gc_malloc() failed, and the JIT just
> asserts.  Shouldn't it be posting an out of memory exception instead?
> Or is there a reason we can't?

Unfortunately, there is very little error checking in the core of the
jitter.  You could throw an exception or longjmp, just so long as
everything got cleaned up correctly.

> I was able to get past the issue with -Xmx256M.

There is probably a big array initializer, kaffe does...  poorly in
this case.  Merging in the pocketlinux version should help a bit.

> Cheers,
>
>  - Jim

tim