[kaffe] register spills

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Wed Sep 10 23:34:01 PDT 2003

Register allocation in JIT3 seems to deliberately allocate
cyclicly through the full available register set.  This was
presumably so that the last N values would always be
available for re-use.  Unfortunately, this includes registers
used as temporary intermediate registers which will never,
ever, be reused.  I found some bugs in the MIPS JIT3
configuration because of this behavior, which is why I
know about it.

One *can* reduce this by introducing one or two
"preferred" temp registers and modifying the JIT3
pseudo-instruction expansions to request those for temp
values, rather than just getting the next sequential register
via rreg_int() etc. I did that experimentally for MIPS,
and while it masked the bug I was chasing (but didn't fix
it - that had to be done elsewhere), it did not have the side
effect I expected of significantly improving performance.
Looking at the emitted JIT code, it *did* reduce the
number of spills, though.  YMMV.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.