[kaffe] loadClass() vs. loadClass()

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Fri Sep 19 07:26:01 PDT 2003

Hi,

I gave JBoss another try recently and finally got to a
point where I really don't know what to do.

As you will know, java.lang.ClassLoader contains two
different loadClass methods, one that takes a String
and a boolean as its parameters and one that takes
only a String. Whenever kaffe has to load some class
using a user defined loader, it invokes the two parameter
form of loadClass.

JBOSS however contains a class loader that only overrides
the loadClass(String) method, but not the other one.
This means that it doesn't work with kaffe at the moment,
because some classes will not be found.

The simple and quick fix would be to modify kaffe so
it calls the loadClass(String) method of a user defined
class loader instead of the loadClass(String, boolean)
one. In theory, this should not break existing code since
loadClass(String) simply calls the other method. I don't
know whether this is the right way to fix this, though.

Therefore, I'd like to hear other opinions about this
before deciding whether or not to do the change.

Regards,
Helmer