[kaffe] loadClass() vs. loadClass()

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Fri Sep 19 09:25:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:12:44 -0600 (MDT)
Timothy Stack <stack at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

Hi,

> > I gave JBoss another try recently and finally got to a
> > point where I really don't know what to do.
> >
> > As you will know, java.lang.ClassLoader contains two
> > different loadClass methods, one that takes a String
> > and a boolean as its parameters and one that takes
> > only a String. Whenever kaffe has to load some class
> > using a user defined loader, it invokes the two parameter
> > form of loadClass.
>
> Looks like this is just wrong, the javadoc says the single parameter one
> should be called...

I'll commit the change to classMethod.c, then.

> > JBOSS however contains a class loader that only overrides
> > the loadClass(String) method, but not the other one.
> > This means that it doesn't work with kaffe at the moment,
> > because some classes will not be found.
>
> Hmm, they should be overriding findClass(), is there any reason why they
> needed to use loadClass()?

Their class loader looks like this:

=======8<==================
 public static Object create(final Class intf,
                               final ObjectName name,
                               final MBeanServer server)
   {
      // make a which delegates to MBeanProxyInstance's cl for it's class resolution
      ClassLoader cl = new ClassLoader(intf.getClassLoader())
      {
         public Class loadClass(final String className) throws ClassNotFoundException
         {
            try {
               return super.loadClass(className);
            }
            catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
               // only allow loading of MBeanProxyInstance from this loader
               if (className.equals(MBeanProxyInstance.class.getName())) {
                  return MBeanProxyInstance.class.getClassLoader().loadClass(className);
               }

               // was some other classname, throw the CNFE
               throw e;
            }
         }
      };

      return Proxy.newProxyInstance(cl,
                                    new Class[] { MBeanProxyInstance.class, intf },
                                    new MBeanProxyExt(name, server));
  }

So I think they could as well move the catch block
into a findClass() method.

Regards,
Helmer