[kaffe] Re: 'mktemp' check in configure (or kaffe shell script does not work)

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Tue Sep 30 00:18:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:53:33 +0900 (JST)
Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:

Hi,

> I said,
> >As the subject line says, configure.in version 1.200 introduced existence check
> >for 'mktemp' command, but it does not change anything for configure script.
> >This command is used in 'kaffe' shell script and if we don't have mktemp
> >(well, this is the case for me on Solaris) the final 'kaffe' script does
> >not work properly if you set debug flag.
>
> If we don't do anything while configure for missing mktemp, then I think
> this check is not needed anyway. Or, of course we can warn the user while
> configure for the missing tool (or, just say 'See FAQ.requiredlibrary').

AFAIK, mktemp is used to generate a unique filename which can
be used for a small gdb script that's passed via -command to
gdb. Why do we have to use mktemp here anyways? I think if someone
wants to debug kaffe, they'll be well able to imagine a unique
filename and set KAFFE_DEBUG_TEMPFILE accordingly, don't they?

Regards,
Helmer