[kaffe] Kaffe CLasspath AWT Status

Stephane Meslin-Weber twiun at adorphuye.com
Tue Sep 30 01:41:02 PDT 2003

> I managed to get kaffe with GNU classpath to compile. Even
> better I got
> Hello World to run without crashing!!!!

That's always a good start :)

> Now the next question. How to rework the native code. The present awt
> implementation just creates windows and uses java side code to create
> things like menus. Should I apprach it using this method or should I
> write the menu code native side?

I think this depends on how comfortable you are with either solution.
Delegating everything to the native side is what the normal Sun peers
do. It's also what I do for Qt/E AWT. Doing this means that you don't
have to emulate (or even create) a particular platform look. It's
usually faster but obviously involves more work on the native side. IMO
this is really what a peered implementation should do.

Using the current Kaffe method is, in my opinion, not portable to other
JVMs. Doing this would mean that your peers would end up either being
only usable on Kaffe or needing significant porting effort for use on
other JVMs.

Steph