[kaffe] kjc embedded in kaffe-1.1.4

Dalibor Topic robilad@kaffe.org
Tue Apr 6 05:44:01 2004

Hi Bill,

wlarip wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Please feel free to redirect me to another forum if this posting is
> inappropriate.

You're right on spot here for kaffe's kjc :)

> I have been attempting to compile the Kopi-2.1B suite using kaffe's kjc in
> lieu of jikes.  jikes 1.16 seems to have an assertion error based on the
> absence of some expected byte code generation.

I'd recommend giving jikes 1.19 a go. I've had lots of propblems with
jikes releases between 1.13 and 1.18 for building the class library, or
with our test suite.

> kjc seems to progress well through the suite until it attempts to use jvm
> initiated jflex-1.4 to generate a scanner entitled KjcScanner.java.  In the
> process of the source generation, it complains of unreachable ASSERT tokens
> but completes normally.  The source is foobar and the compile fails.

Could you try to create some short example that triggers the bug? Our
kaffe-extras build of kaffe-1.1.4+ant-1.6.1+patched-kjc-2.1B uses jikes
1.19, afaik, without problems.

> I have gotten the impression from list lurking that kaffe's kjc and dms's may
> have some significant differences.  Is this so? if so, what are they?

Yes, kaffe's kjc is dms' kjc 2.1B with a few patches. The patches are
available here:
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe-extras/patches/ . They
are mostly local bugfixes that haven't made it upstream (yet), but may
not be as well tested as dms' source code.