[kaffe] Is kaffe the "home" of KJC now?

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Mon Apr 5 23:54:02 PDT 2004

Hi Stuart,

> Stuart Ballard wrote:
>
>> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>>
>>> Kaffe's version is .. uh .. slightly forked atm, due to no official
>>> releases from kjc developers for some time and some unfortunate
>>> miscommunication between them and me.
>>

>> Do you plan on keeping Kaffe's KJC maintained as a separate fork, or
>> just letting it sit "as is"? For example, do you think there's any
>> chance that in the future Kaffe's KJC will get the new 1.5 language
>> features? Or is it more likely that Kaffe will simply adopt the
>> "official" KJC at some point in the future?
>

> It's up to Guilhem and Ito, since they are keeping Kaffe's kjc in a good
> shape. I believe Guilhem wanted to try out Kjc's CVS, and see if the
> problems we had were fixed. I've CC:ed them on this post.

I'm currently trying to merge our own KJC patches/codebase with Kjc's
cvs from dms. They don't seem to have implemented many more features for
the moment but mainly fixed some issues added support for deprecation.
Once the merging is finished, I'll send some patches to kjc's developers
hoping they'll accept them (as they fix some critical bugs). I'll make
an announce when it is finished.

By the way, maybe we should open a parallel CVS tree for kjc as it
begins to be quite a mess with all patches.

> I think that the next kjc release might offer some incentive to switch
> to it, though. As far as I know, there was some work done in the Kjc CVS
> on improving the support for generics. I've CC:ed Matthias Pfisterer,
> since he's implementing the Java 1.5 extensions in javax.sound in
> Tritonus, and is using Kjc for that, since 1.5 uses generics. He might
> know more.
>
>>> So I don't think external changes to KJC have a great chance of
>>> showing up in the original version unless they are rock solid for
>>> what DMS does, and as they have a business depending on it, I doubt
>>> they'll take a chance. The kjc developer mailing lists are very
>>> silent, except for the ocassional bug report.
>>

>> How about Kaffe? Is there a chance that Kaffe would accept patches to
>> KJC? (I'm intentionally being vague as to what the patches would
>> actually do - I've learnt that I can't always sustain the motivation
>> to follow through on ideas that I start, so I'm trying to avoid
>> setting up any expectations, especially the kind that might show up in
>> a google search).

Patches are surely welcome !

Cheers,

Guilhem.