[kaffe] Newbie Problem on OpenBSD 3.4

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Apr 6 05:47:02 PDT 2004

Hi Greg,

good to hear from you!

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Dalibor Topic (robilad at kaffe.org) wrote:
>

>>Kaffe 1.0.7 had some problems wrt libtool on i386-openbsd [1]. You could
>>give kaffe 1.1.4 a spin, it should be better in that respect, since it
>>uses a newer libtool, with our OpenBSD patches merged in. :)
>

> OpenBSD on i386 used a.out in versions 3.3 and earlier.  But the person
> who started this thread is using 3.4, which is ELF-based on i386.
> This removes most if not all of the libtool weirdness.
>
> I'd suggest using kaffe for running the java bytecode, and jikes for
> compiling it, assuming he can get jikes working properly.  (When I was
> running Freenet on Kaffe on OpenBSD, I was either using pre-built Freenet
> .jar files, or building them with jikes on Linux.  I stopped for multiple
> reasons, the first of which was the extensive use of non-blocking I/O
> in Freenet, which Kaffe didn't support at the time.  Not sure what its
> status is at the moment.)

Michael Koch & gcj developers have been hacking on improving NIO
support. There is a big patch from Michael on the classpath list, I hope
that we'll be able to merge it into kaffe soon after it goes into GNU
Classpath.

There has been gradual progress on freenet, I've met Matthew in person
in Brussels [1], and he's tracking kaffe's NIO progress. When it's
working again, I'll make sure that it's announced on the freenet lists.

[1] And we meet regularly on #freenet on irc.freenode.org