[kaffe] NEED_sysdepCallMethod

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Wed Apr 14 01:18:03 PDT 2004

Dalibor Topic wrote:

>Kiyo Inaba wrote:
>> While trying to get the latest kaffe for m68k, I become wondering what is the
>> purpose of 'NEED_sysdepCallMethod' macro defined in several machine dependent
>> codes. That means, this macro is not needed to compile m68k-linux (CVS head)
>> and it WAS needed for 1.1.4, but still several other ports have this macro
>> defined.
>
>As far as I can tell by looking at kaffe/kaffevm/support.c, it's used to
>  signal that the code is not using libffi, so it should use kaffe's own
>call interface.

Oh, I understand.

I may misunderstood the purpose of this macro, because when I tried
to compile 1.1.4 for m68k-linux, I got compile error for 'ObjectInputStream.c'
because it includes (indirectly) 'md.h', but does not have proper
definition for 'callMethodInfo'. When I put '#if NEED_sysdepCallMethod'
in md.h to surround the definition of sysdepCallMethod, this problem
disappears.

>I think having the libffi option is a good thing. Renaming the
>self-explanatory like 'USE_KAFFE_TRAMPOLINES', or USE_LIBFFI_TRAMPOLINES
>or even USE_FFCALL_TRAMPOLINES [1]

Looks like so. I prefer the name 'USE_KAFFE_TRAMPOLINES', because
we may not have risk when we find yet another trampoline related
library.

Kiyo