[kaffe] Re: inlining sysdepCallMethod for m68k-linux

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Wed Apr 21 21:24:02 PDT 2004

Riccardo wrotes:
>> I am wondering this comes from relatively old compiler like
>> $ gcc -v
>> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/m68k-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
>> gcc version 2.7.2.3
>I have debian sid on my Quadra, so I have gcc 3.3 available....
>Do you mant me to try? is the small patch you copy&pasted in th original
>message everything I need versus current CVS?

Trying with newer compiler is welcome. If you do so, first try without
modifying anything (if I remember correctly, you have already done, and
the result is not satisfactory...), then try to use my small patched
inline version (explicityly use gcc's internal alloca) and see whether
gcc complains about that or not. And finally test with macro version
(which also works with my current config).

But, the real concern for me is which version of environment we can
support. In general, if we make more CPU/OS (with different versions)
supported, the usefulness of kaffe becomes bigger, but of course we
need not to be so strong-headed of this issue. This specific case is
one of these tradeoffs, if inlining with alloca works with newer
versions of gcc.

By the way, I will try not to use alloca at all, by heavily depends
on the calling sequence for sysdepCallMethod in this weekend.

Kiyo