[kaffe] kaffe/jikes makes incompatible code for jdk1.3?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Aug 5 03:00:53 PDT 2004

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 23:48, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

>>  If the problem could not be solved soon, it means we'll have to build
>>  servlet with non-free JDK again!
>>
>>  It means libservlet2.3-java back to contrib!
>

> Why? It isn't a bug with any of the free main runtimes. And it seems a
> upgrade of the non-free proprietary runtime that this person is using
> would solve the issue.

I tend to agree with Mark on that. If it's a problem with some code
outside debian (i.e. the JDK), then it shouldn't be necessary to kick
packages out of main to acommodate for problems in non-free software :)

But then, I tend to view the JDK like the Netscape Navigator: it was
great that it was around, but after a while it was less and less needed,
since free software alternatives made it unnecessary for free operating
systems. :)