[kaffe] CVS kaffe (dalibor): Reworked support for class library profiles and big math

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 9 20:27:52 PDT 2004

Kaffe CVS wrote:
> PatchSet 4982
> Date: 2004/07/18 15:27:23
> Author: dalibor
> Branch: HEAD
> Tag: (none)
> Log:
> Reworked support for class library profiles and big math
>
> 2004-07-18  Dalibor Topic  <robilad at kaffe.org>

>         * kaffe/kaffe/main.c:
>         Include prefix.h if BinReloc is enabled.
>         (options) Handle -Xnative-big-math option.
>         (usage) Added -Xnative-big-math.

   Dalibor,

   I'm a little late to notice this, but could you explain the reason to make
the all-java implementation of BigInteger to be the default?  If one has
explicitly compiled in the GMP libraries, I'd think that they'd intend for
that to be the default.

   The GMP libraries are literally thousands of times faster for large
numbers, and this is the primary reason that I use Kaffe.  It's one of the
reasons I promote Kaffe--as being a superior platform for large integer math
in Java.

   Could we make native-big-math the default if it's compiled in?  I was sure
wondering why everything got so slow all of a sudden!  Calculations went from
milliseconds to minutes or hours!

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself