[kaffe] funcs.c and LOUT

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Thu Aug 19 21:15:05 PDT 2004

Hi Michael,

You wrote:
>In trying to get the PowerPC JIT to compile I have run into an issue
>with the change in definition of LOUT in funcs.c.  The change was
>between 1.9 and 1.10.  The CVS log doesn't say much "Fix 641 'use of
>compound as lvalue is deprecated' warnings."

Good to hear someone is now trying to make JIT works for a port!

>Does anyone have any more insite into the change?

Well, the change looked to be clearly described by the log itself...
For older version, we use ?OUT macro to be converted to an assignment
statement. But (as ChangeLog indicates), assignment of compound value
(long long type) is deprecated (that's what I heard) in C language
spec, and Dalibor and some other people (including me) modify macros
to use function type operations. This modification makes less warning
produced while compiling (641 warnings are deleted in this case), and
it was called in this ML as 'warning hunt'.

By the way, why your mail always archived as dangled to some other
messages. Jim or some other person may know the magic ;-)

Kiyo