[kaffe] Re: kjc on m68k/netbsd works.

Tony Wyatt wyattaw at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 27 16:22:45 PDT 2004

Hi Kiyo,

On 08/27/2004, you wrote:

> First of all, let me clarify current status of m68k/netbsd. My previous
> mail looks very unclear, sorry for my bad English.

Kiyo, your English is quite adequate and often better than ours.

> # except for configure problem for link.

Good work, I was never able to get jit3 to work on the Amiga platform.

> Helmer Kraemer wrote:
>> Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:
>> If the op_subaw_ia is commented out, the sp will point above the
>> register save area and instructions like pusharg_x will overwrite
>> the values of saved registers, since they're relative to sp.
>
> Yes, this is the behavior I found. I wrote similar picture to verify
> my findings. And that's why I reverted Tony's patch.

If reverting my patch makes it better, then good.

> My lazy brain said, 'if it works right now, don't spend long time
> for Archaeological study' :-) It's very interesting why once Tony
> found this added portion made the behavior much better than
> without that.

I've been reading my notebook, and at the time I was chasing a crash that
happened when exceptions were handled (in the test suite). From my notes, it seems that I found that the return address from SysDepCallMethod() call
was stored in A2 or A3, but was corrupted by the Exception handling
"stack-unwind" function, which "restored" registers. The "restore" over-wrote
the return address and caused a later crash, so I deleted it and exceptions then worked properly.

At the time that I finished playing with jit1 of 1.0.7, I had only 13
failures in the test suite (running under Amiga OS). Several of those
"failures" were due to OS dependencies like filename length limitations.

I was unable to get jit3 to run in the short time that I spent on it. I then
went on to 1.1.0 for a short time before abandoning the 68k platform. I'm
currently starting to get together the development system for AmigaOS on
PPC, with a view to getting stuck into the jit for PPC.

As I have said before, that was May last year, a lot has changed since
then, and I feel no paternal duty to stand up and fight for the mods I wrote back
then, for what is now an obsolete version.

If Kiyo's recent changes make the current system work better, then I'm in
favour of them. I hope to be able to participate in this forum again soon,
but using the Amiga OS4 PPC platform.

cheers
tony