[kaffe] Mac OS X Dynamic Library (autoconf/automake)

Michael Franz developer.franz at verizon.net
Tue Aug 31 21:04:44 PDT 2004

Dalibor,

I updated kaffevm/kaffe-gc and it solved some of my linkage problems.
I have attached the remaining issues below.

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Michael Franz wrote:
>> Hi Dalibor,
>> On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, at 05:03 AM, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your bug report.
>>>
>>> It seems to be a darwin-linking-model-specific issue. I think that
>>> it can be resolved by making those of the duplicate symbols static
>>> that can be made static. I'll create a patch today for CVS head. See
>>> [1] for an explanation in detail.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> dalibor topic
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-k/2003-June/000723.html
>>>
>> Thanks!  I will integrate these changes.  Hopefully they will solve
>> my problem.
>
> I'll turn the remaining static-able variables into static ones, and
> provide wrapper functions for the other globals, so that they can be
> static, too. I'm not finished, i'm doing it step by step. It's easier
> to switch variable after variable and run the checks in the background
> as I reorganize my belongings[1] in the new appartment :)
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic
>
> [1] I still have to connect my other boxes to the net. I've finally
> got DSL at home, no more modem CVS checkouts :)

/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=link --tag=CC gcc  -Wall   -o
libkaffegc.la -rpath /usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/powerpc  -export-dynamic
-release 1.1.x-cvs gc-incremental.lo gc-mem.lo gc-refs.lo
gcc -dynamiclib -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o
.libs/libkaffegc-1.1.x-cvs.dylib  .libs/gc-incremental.o .libs/gc-mem.o
.libs/gc-refs.o  -install_name
/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/powerpc/libkaffegc-1.1.x-cvs.dylib
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
-multi_module option
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_heap_base (size 4)
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_heap_limit (size 4)
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_heap_range (size 4)
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_heap_total (size 4)
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_pgbits (size 4)
.libs/gc-mem.o definition of common _gc_pgsize (size 4/usr/bin/libtool:
internal link edit command failed
)

Some of these are the same as I sent before, but the numbers are
reduced.

Michael