[kaffe] race during thread creation and gc invocation

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Tue Dec 21 03:54:27 PST 2004

Guilhem Lavaux <guilhem at kaffe.org> wrote:

> I think that we may skip the marking of thread and its internals but we
> should continue to mark the stack of the thread. So I suggest we move
> the call to TwalkThreads at the beginning of liveThreadWalker and do as
> you have suggested.

Ok, I've checked it in.

BTW, what are your plans regarding the boehm-gc  integration? I've
stumbled across a function pointer called GC_push_other_roots which
can be used by the application to push root references the gc can't
know about. So it looks like we could use it to traverse the list of
running threads using jthread_walkLiveThreads, just like kaffe-gc
does. This in turn would mean that we could make boehm-gc use the
jthread layer (provided that we find a way to trick boehm-gc into
using jthread_suspendall). Have you had a look at this possibility?

Regards,
Helmer