[kaffe] struggling with kaffe and https

Mark Maxham mark at maxham.com
Thu Feb 5 08:48:02 PST 2004

I'm running kaffe 1.1.3 on Debian, and I have built the GNU Crypto from
the latest CVS, as well as Jessie, also from the latest CVS.  Here's my
little test app:

-----

import java.io.InputStream;
import java.net.URL;
import java.net.URLConnection;

/**
  * @author max
  *
  */
public class HttpsTest
{
     {
         System.setProperty(
             "java.protocol.handler.pkgs",
             "org.metastatic.jessie");
         java.security.Security.addProvider(new gnu.crypto.jce.GnuCrypto());
         URL url = new URL("https://www.foo.com");
         URLConnection uc = url.openConnection();
         InputStream is = uc.getInputStream();
         is.close();
     }
}

-----

Here's my invocation:

java -classpath .:/data/workdir/source/gnu-crypto.jar:
  /data/workdir/jce/javax-crypto.jar:
  /data/workdir/security/javax-security.jar:
  /data/jessie-0.9.6/lib/javax-net.jar:
  /data/jessie-0.9.6/lib/javax-security-cert.jar:
  /data/jessie-0.9.6/lib/org-metastatic-jessie.jar HttpsTest

I looked in the jessie.jar file and everything looks like it's there to
provide HTTPS, and I get this:

java.net.MalformedURLException: Protocol handler not found: https
    at java.net.URL.<init> (URL.java:430)
    at java.net.URL.<init> (URL.java:311)
    at HttpsTest.main (HttpsTest.java:17)

Please tell me I'm doing something obviously boneheaded.

(I have the same question out to the Jessie list, but the kaffe list
gets a lot more eyeballs ... )

thanks
max