[kaffe] Re: eclipse-jdt: kaffe cannot be used as a standard VM in eclipse

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Sun Feb 29 07:03:02 PST 2004

Hi,

(CCed kaffe at kaffe.org to get this archived since I don't have time at
this moment to work on it.)

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 15:35, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Thanks for your information. I immediately compiled kaffe1.1.4 (Debian
> currently has only 1.1.3) and found out that it works with eclipse 2.1.2
> without needing to change anything! However it stops working, if I use
> eclipse 3.0M6 or 3.0M7. See the Debian bug report for some more information:

Bah :{ Had the same problem with gcj/gij for newer 3.0 (>= M6) builds.
Something must have been changed in the way Eclipse detects JDKs.

> Just to avoid confusion: I don't want to run
> eclipse with (on top of) kaffe, but only add it as an additional JRE in
> eclipse.

Understood. But what Eclipse (<= M5 at least) does is actually running
the found 'java' binary on a little program and examining its output to
determine whether or not to accept the location as a "standard JDK".
Unfortunately Eclipse doesn't give very good debug output when it finds
something unexpected. I actually had to hack Eclipse to make it more
verbose when trying to make it accept gcj/gij and.or kaffe as standard
JDK.

See Eclipse CVS:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.jdt.launching/launching/org/eclipse/jdt/internal/launching/

The JikesRVM hackers told me that they solved this issue by creating a
customized launcher plugin. That way they do not need to alias stuff to
the name java or anything like that, and they even have a bit of
customization (like optionally choosing RVM_ROOT and RVM_BUILD from
within Eclipse).

It might be nice if someone looks at their plugin as a model for
creating standardized free (GNU Classpath based) VM plugin support for
Eclipse.  It is in the rvm/src/tools/eclipse/plugin2 directory in their
CVS archive, and I believe the relevant classes in Eclipse are stuff
like AbstractVMInstall and AbstractVMInstallType.

Browse CVS at:
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/cvs/jikesrvm/rvm/src/tools/eclipse/plugin2/

Cheers,

Mark