[kaffe] bytecodes

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Jan 7 10:43:02 PST 2004

Hi Eduardo,

Eduardo Melione Abreu wrote:
> Thank you!
>
> I want to know the values of the most simple bytecodes, whose operate
> on local integer variables, stack and constants (all about 65
> bytecodes). However, I have interes to do this patch. What I have do do?
> How and where do I start? I'm very interested about...

Actually, there is also the vmdebug option MORE_JIT, that gives you some
  slightly better output:

@0:     aload 0
@1:     iload 1
@2:     iconst 0
@3:     invokevirtual 173

vs

000: ALOAD_0
000: ALOAD_1
000: ALOAD_2
000: ALOAD_3
001: GETFIELD
004: IFNE
007: ILOAD_1
007: ILOAD_2
007: ILOAD_3
008: ALOAD_0
008: ALOAD_1
008: ALOAD_2
008: ALOAD_3
009: GETFIELD
012: ARRAYLENGTH

with INT_INSTR.

It would be great if you could take the MORE_JIT output, and extend it
to resolve the constants, for example, and print its arguments.

the function is called trace_jcode in kaffe/kaffevm/kaffe.def. Take a
look at the bytecodes that interest you, and add better humanely
readable output to their trace_jcode calls. Don't hesitate to ask
questions. ;)