[kaffe] How to change the boot class path?

Matthias Pfisterer Matthias.Pfisterer at web.de
Thu Jan 15 09:47:02 PST 2004

Hi,

for testing, I want to "shadow" a class in kaffe's rt.jar by a modified
version of the same class. I routinly do this with the Sun JDK
prepending a .jar file containing the modified version of the class with
the -Xbootclasspath/p option. With older versions of kaffe it was
possible to achieve the same effect by having a file ~/.kafferc with
lines like:
--
CLASSPATH=/home/matthias/java/tritonus/dist/tritonus_core.jar:$CLASSPATH
--
This no longer seems to work. After some searching I found that there is
a property sun.boot.class.path that should allow to set the boot class
path in kaffe. However, I didn't manage to make it work, too. In looking
for a way to debug this, I detected the vmdebug option INITCLASSPATH.
Using this option, I got the feeling that sun.boot.class.path isn't
recognized at all:
--
artemis:~/java/jsresources/examples/.build>kjava -vmdebug INITCLASSPATH
-Dsun.boot.class.path=/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/local/kaffe/lib/kjc.jar
artemis:~/java/jsresources/examples/.build>kjava -vmdebug INITCLASSPATH
Hello
initClasspath():
'/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar::/usr/local/kaffe/lib/kjc.jar'
insertClasspath(): '/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar' append
insertClasspath(): '' append
insertClasspath(): '/usr/local/kaffe/lib/kjc.jar' append
Hello world!
--
Am I missing something obvious? Or is there an alternative way to change
the boot class path?

Matthias
--
Matthias Pfisterer	<mailto:Matthias.Pfisterer at web.de>
Reuchlinstrasse 28	phone ++49-711-62 87 12

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody is watching.

Java Sound Resources (examples, FAQ, applications):
http://www.jsresources.org/

Tritonus, the open source implementation of the Java Sound API:
http://www.tritonus.org/