[kaffe] Re: generic collections

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 11:42:02 PST 2004

>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Pfisterer <Matthias.Pfisterer at web.de> writes:

Matthias> Yes, I just found a bug in kjc's generics support! On the
Matthias> other hand, it is basically working, while I had no success
Matthias> with gcj and jikes.

gcj currently doesn't know anything about generics.  I'm working on a
new experimental gcj front end that will support generics and other
new features (static import, enum, etc), but it is pretty far from
finished.

Matthias> I agree that we have to make sure the tool chain supports
Matthias> generics. But we won't find out and improve the tools without playing
Matthias> with generics. The kjc bug mentioned above is an example of this: I
Matthias> wrote a simple list class to test the generics support and zong!
Matthias> encountered a bug. So I think we have to start implementing generics
Matthias> to get the tools right.

Yes, definitely!  There's a lot to do for generics, both on the
compiler side and the library side; we have to look at doing
everything.  Ordering isn't super-important, as we need it all working
together in the end, before we can really release it.

>> Check out the Classpath web pages for requirements, and get your
>> paperwork done with the FSF to contribute the code to GNU
>> Classpath. Then all free runtimes (not just kaffe) can profit from
>> your work on reimplementing the collections framework.

Matthias> Ok, I'll do that.

I'd like to propose that we make a branch for this in the Classpath
cvs repository.  Then when we're ready for generics in the main line,
we can merge it all over.  I think we can't really put it in the main
line until the compiler support issue is solved for all the
participating VMs.

We'll probably have to talk about this a bit on the Classpath list,
but I don't really anticipate any problems.  Classpath as a whole is
pretty open to changes like this.

Tom