[kaffe] kaffe on windows

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jan 25 09:11:02 PST 2004

Hi Tim,

Tim Mickelson wrote:
>    Hi.
>
>  I'm trying to install kaffe on a windows machine. Inside cygwin, but I
> get errors, why? This should be ported according to the website. Does
> anyone have any insight in this matter? I've tried several different
> versions of kaffe and get several different versions of errors.

I'm ocassionally trying to get kaffe to build & work fine on Cygwin
again (it used to, for a brief while last year, but a bug in cygwin made
it impossible to run kaffe for too long. Since I'm not using windows
much ( and thus not using cygwin much ;), my motivation to sink in a few
weeks to debug cygwin was low.

But I heard on the Cygwin mailing list, which I follow regularly, that
the new cygwin1.dll fixes quite a few things wrt memory problems, so it
may work better now. You have to build kaffe (preferrably from CVS HEAD,
as that's where the development really takes place) with dynamic
libraries disabled, since kaffe's source hasn't been 'dllized' for use
in windows dlls yet. It would be great if someone familiar with bulding
windows dlls with libtool and cygwin could take the time to 'dllize' kaffe.

In any case, it would be nice to fix all the problems in the static
build alone. I get a ton of warnings for it, for example.

So if you'd like to volunteer (and are not tainted, i.e. have looked
into Sun's sources, decompiled their code, or signed NDAs preventing you
from contributing) to fix kaffe on Cygwin, hop onto #kaffe on
irc.freenode.org for more details ;)