[kaffe] [New bug] -Dxxxx=y crashes

Benja Fallenstein b.fallenstein at gmx.de
Wed Jul 7 15:06:40 PDT 2004

The "new" in the title refers to this bug being introduced within the
last few days; it wasn't there last time I CVS-updated (or at least it
wasn't triggered by passing -Dpython.cachedir=... to Kaffe). I'm sorry
that I cannot track down what day this was exactly, but it was about
four days ago.

Now, when setting -D options on the command line, depending on the
option, Kaffe may throw a NullPointerException in native code and exit.
I've seen two different behaviors. Case A:

benja at joy:/tmp$ java -cp . -Dxxxxx=y M
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
Aborted

Case B:

benja at joy:/tmp$ java -cp . -Dpython.cachedir=y M
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
~        at java.lang.System.initProperties(System.java:native)
~        at java.lang.System.<clinit>(System.java:43)
~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.<init>(ClassLoader.java:115)
~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.<init>(ClassLoader.java:111)
~        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.<init>(SecureClassLoader.java:59)
~        at java.net.URLClassLoader.<init>(URLClassLoader.java:544)
~        at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<init>(AppClassLoader.java:237)
~        at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<clinit>(AppClassLoader.java:36)
Aborted

Examples, with notes whether they produce case A or case B or start
normally (0):

0 -Dx
0 -Dxx
0 -Dxxx
0 -Dxxxx
A -Dxxxxx
A -Dxxxxxx

0 -Dxxxx=
A -Dxxxxx=

0 -Dxxxx=y
A -Dxxxxx=y

A -Dpython.cache
0 -Dpython.cached
A -Dpython.cachedi
B -Dpython.cachedir

A -Dpython.xxxxx
A -Dpython.xxxxxx
A -Dpython.xxxxxxx
A -Dpython.xxxxxxxx

Weird. Anybody have an idea? Anybody who's checked code in recently know
something that may have caused this?

Cheers,
- - Benja