[kaffe] Can't find libawt?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Jul 14 08:44:58 PDT 2004

Hi Jerry,

please post bug reports to the mailing list :)

Jerry wrote:
> But after it,there was other questions.
> When I typed follow command in the minicom:
>      kaffe -vmdebug AWT -cp $PWD Calc
> it returns:
>
> QtAWT - Warning: QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
> QtAWT - Warning: QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
> QtAWT - Warning: QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
> QtAWT - Warning: QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
> QtAWT - Warning: No Qt/Embedded server appears to be running.
> QtAWT - Warning: If you want to run this program as a server,
> QtAWT - Warning: add the "-qws" command-line option.
>
> when i tryed program of qtopia,it return also these warnings,but that time I
> can pass "-qws" to the application,when there was a higher layer between it
> ,how can I pass it to the application.I tryed "kaffe Calc -qws".It doesn't
> work.

QWS is the Qt/embedded windowing server. You need to have it running or
have a launcher app that acts as a server. See the thread at
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-embedded-interest/2001-10/msg00113.html
for example.

> Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
> Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
> java/lang/NullPointerException
> Aborted
> *******************************/
>
> the details of Debug msg was follow:
>
> /*******************************
> asked to translate = java/awt/Toolkit.tlkInit((Ljava/lang/String;)Z)
> Method = java/awt/Toolkit.tlkInit(Ljava/lang/String;)Z
> Native stub = 'java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit'
> Couldn't find java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 0 == libnative.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 1 == libnio.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 2 == libio.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 3 == libawt.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 0 ==
> libnative.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 1 == libnio.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Couldn't find Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 2 == libio.
> Error message is /cvs/xscale/jre/lib/arm/libkaffevm-1.1.x-cvs.so: undefined
> symbol: Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit.
> Found Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit in library handle 3 == libawt.

>From FAQ.awt:

   * Linker complains about missing symbols

    That could be an instance of moc trouble above, but more often
    it's a problem between C++ ABIs of the compiler used to build qt
    you want to link against, and the compiler you used to build
    kaffe's Qt-based AWT with.

    The GNU C++ compiler g++ had a short period where the ABI changed
    with almost every release, so if you are using a Qt library
    compiled with one of those 'interim' versions, your best bet is to
    rebuild Qt frim scratch with your current compiler.

  * QTDIR, QTEDIR, QPEDIR is pointing to the wrong directory.

    Qt uses QTDIR to find its fonts, and may use the other environment
    variables to locate other crucial bits for execution. Make sure
    that you've got them pointing to the right directories, i.e. the
    versions you compiled against. Read Qt toolkits installation
    description for more information on those environment variables.

You can use nm to figure out if Java_java_awt_Toolkit_tlkInit is really
in your libawt.

> BTW: what's the address of KAFFE IRC?

#kaffe on irc.freenode.org