No subject

Tue Jun 22 17:38:17 PDT 2004

there shouldn't be any reason not to include the change you suggest -
if someone implements it, of course.

If I understand your proposal right, you'd use an array for
the first 256 values and a hashtable or something like that
for the rest.  I don't think there would be a problem with changing
it so that it would both serialize an array and a hashtable.
One or two objects in *.ser shouldn't make a difference.
You could even stick a flag at the beginning if the array shouldn't
pay off for some encodings.
One would have to see what the actual sizes of the .ser files would be;
keeping those small is certainly desirable.  From what I understand,
they're more compact than any Java code representation.
Edouard would know more since he wrote that code, I think.

On a related note, this whole conversion thing stinks.
Why can't people stick to 7-bit ASCII?
For instance, the JVM98 jack benchmark calls PrintStream.print
a whopping 296218 times in a single run.  Every call results in a new
converter object being newinstanced, just to convert a bunch of bytes.
(The new converter was one of the changes done to make the
charset conversion thread-safe.)  This is one of the reasons
why we're on this test some 7 or 8 times slower than IBM.
And that's not even using any of the serialized converters, just
the default one (which is written in JNI).

	- Godmar