[kaffe] make use of gcjwebplugin

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Mon Jun 28 09:29:16 PDT 2004

Hello all,

  The java part of gcjwebplugin[1] should work on Kaffe now.

  I did it with the simple script:

#!/bin/sh
GCJWEBPLUGIN=:ext:anoncvs at savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/gcjwebplugin
DIR=gcjwebplugin/src
CONF=gnu/gcjwebplugin/Configuration.java
# modify AWT_CLASSPATH according to
AWT_CLASSPATH=$HOME/expr/gui-branch-kaffe/src/javalib/classes
AWT_CLASSPATH=$HOME/expr/gui-branch-kaffe/classes:$AWT_CLASSPATH
cvs -z9 -d $GCJWEBPLUGIN checkout $DIR
if [ -d $DIR ]; then
  pushd $DIR
  sed -e 's/@VERSION@/0.3.0/' $CONF.in > $CONF
  find -name '*.java' | \
    grep -v ContextManager.java | \
    xargs jikes -bootclasspath $AWT_CLASSPATH
  popd $DIR
fi

  Note: $AWT_CLASSPATH refers to the classpath contains the class impl
of gnu.java.awt.EmbeddedWindow since Kaffe lacks it. We should import
the implementation from gcj's java-gui-branch or GNU Classpath soon.

  To launch standalone AppletViewer of gcjwebplugin, you might do this:

/opt/bin/kaffe -Xss 32M \
  -cp ./gcjwebplugin/src gnu.gcjwebplugin.AppletViewer $1

  Note: Kaffe's original xlib-based AWT backend is known to work, but
the gtk-peer from java-gui-branch doesn't.

  Here is my screenshot about java port of FrozenBubble[2] running on
gcjwebplugin on Kaffe:

  http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/screenshots/gcjwebplugin-kaffe.png

  It's interesting that Kaffe's xlib-based AWT implementation could not
capture shift key event, which was defined in FrozenBubble as Fire key,
so that I couldn't start the game.

cheers,
Jim Huang

[1] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gcjwebplugin/