[kaffe] NEWS: GCJ's java-gui-branch runs on Kaffe.

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Mon Jun 14 20:40:02 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:44:32AM -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 23:07, jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw wrote:
> > 3. there is some strange behavior in font rendering, and some text gone.
>
> I'm not seeing those font problems under GCJ:
> http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/kaffe-widgetsdemo-2004-06-11.png
> What are your LANG and LC_CTYPE settings?
> Tom

Thank you a lot, Thomas Fitzsimmons!

After talking with you in #kaffe IRC channel, I modified the
initilization
routines for dpi_conversion_factor, and everything works again.

For one willing to take a try, you can obtain the tarball[1], and build
according to the instructions in README. Here is my screenshot:

  http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/screenshots/gui-branch-kaffe-20040614.png

Now, both the one under GCJ and another under Kaffe look the same, and I
would like to invite GCJ java-gui-branch hackers to take Kaffe into
consideration for developping and testing.

Maybe I should commit the scripts and small patches into cvs repository
of Kaffe, so that developers can try the fresh AWT/Swing implementation
from GCJ java-gui-branch without building the whole GCJ.

cheers,
Jim Huang

[1] http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/gui-branch-kaffe.tgz