[kaffe] Re: [Fw] GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD

James Damour jdamour at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jun 16 01:47:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 13:34, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:00, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > Maybe kaffe at kaffe.org or classpath at gnu.org will help you better than
> > me. I Cc them.
> >
> > Thanks for your time,
> >
> > Cheers,

> > From: James Damour <jdamour at nycap.rr.com>
> > To: avdyk at debian.org
> > Subject: GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD
> > Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:38:26 -0400
> >
> > Hello!
>
> Hi,
>
> >   I am a developer of the MegaMek project
> > (http://megamek.sourceforge.net) and I'm trying to get MegaMek to run
> > under a free VM.  So far, Kaffe is the most successful at running
> > MegaMek, but it has problems with laying out the windows.  I was
> > wondering if you could help me debug the problem or point me to someone
> > who can.
> >
> > I've created a simple test case and I've attached it to this email.
>
> Thanks!  David Jee is looking into this.

> > compile the code using both the jikes v1.18 that is in Debian Sarge
> > (with -bootclasspath is /usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar) and with kjc.
> > When I run under Blackdown JRE v1.3.1, I can see the text in all of the
> > buttons (and they're about 8 cm wide); when I run under Kaffe, the
> > buttons are too narrow (about 1 cm wide).  As this email's title says,
> > I'm currently following Kaffe's HEAD branch, so I've gotten the
> > latest-and-greatest version of your Classpath.
> >
> > I'm willing to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve this issue,
> > but I'm not really sure where to start.  Should I even try to work this
> > through with Kaffe?  Should I try using the gcj AWT/Swing CVS branch
> > instead?  Any insights that you may provide would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >

> Yes, I would recommend working on GCJ's java-gui-branch, since that's
> where new AWT and Swing development is being done.  I've done some work
> that makes setting up a GCJ-based GUI development environment pretty
> easy:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/gcj-and-jhbuild.html

OK.  I'll try this out.  I'll reply directly to fitzsim if I have any
trouble.

> Do you already have an FSF copyright assignment?  If not, you'll need to
> get one before you start submitting AWT/Swing patches.

Well, I never intended on submitting patches to any of the libgcj/gnu
classpath classes: I've looked inside the src.jar file of a couple Sun
distributions (trying to debug problems), so I think I count as
tainted.  Still, I expect that I can submit bug reports (and maybe mauve
testcases) in an effort to support Free Java.  Should I submit a
copyright assignment for those?

--
James Damour (Suvarov454) <suvarov454 at users.sourceforge.net>