[kaffe] Re: [Fw] GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD

James Damour jdamour at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 19 10:09:03 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 12:28, David Jee wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 13:34, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:00, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > > Maybe kaffe at kaffe.org or classpath at gnu.org will help you better than
> > > me. I Cc them.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time,
> > >
> > > Cheers,

> > > From: James Damour <jdamour at nycap.rr.com>
> > > To: avdyk at debian.org
> > > Subject: GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD
> > > Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:38:26 -0400
> > >
> > > Hello!
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > >   I am a developer of the MegaMek project
> > > (http://megamek.sourceforge.net) and I'm trying to get MegaMek to run
> > > under a free VM.  So far, Kaffe is the most successful at running
> > > MegaMek, but it has problems with laying out the windows.  I was
> > > wondering if you could help me debug the problem or point me to someone
> > > who can.
> > >
> > > I've created a simple test case and I've attached it to this email.
> >
> > Thanks!  David Jee is looking into this.
>
> And look into it I did.  I tried your test case with GCJ's
> java-gui-branch AWT, and it seems to work fine.  Also, the GridBagLayout
> implementation in kaffe CVS head appears identical to the implementation
> we have in GCJ java-gui-branch.  So the problem seems to be elsewhere in
> kaffe.  I would suggest trying GCJ's java-gui-branch AWT/Swing as Tom
> Fitzsimmons has suggested.  Please let us know how that goes.

After several tries, and resolving several dependancies not mentioned in
jhbuild sanitycheck (if anyone knows how to list installed Debian
packages by install date/time, I can submit a complete list) I've
succeeded in completing the jhbuild as outlined in
http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/gcj-and-jhbuild.html.

As David said, the AWT/Swing branch of gcj has no problems with my test
case (see attached screen print).  It runs fine both interpreted and as
a native app.  I will attepmt to compile my entire project to a native
app as soon as I can, and see how that goes.

In the meantime, should I attempt to determine why the layout works in
gcj, but not in kaffe (see other screenshot)?

I've attached my test source file again, in case anyone is interested in
running the test case in their own VM, or if anyone else wants to look
for the problem in kaffe.

--
James Damour (Suvarov454) <suvarov454 at users.sourceforge.net>