[kaffe] about jikes, kjc, netBSD sparc and JIT (big headache and many compiles)

Riccardo zuse at libero.it
Wed Jun 23 14:57:57 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have some interesting news about jikes and netBSD/sparc jit.
I did dated checkouts even on days where it worked and I was puzzled.
Failures at everyside and I was about to give up. SOmeone maybe has read
my considerations on irc after hours and hours of kaffe reocmpilations.

I configured lately kaffe with --with-jikes to be faster. This works for
example on solaris or on NetBSD/ppc.
It also works on NetBSD/sparc with intrp. But not with JIT.

Configuring without that option and using
JAVAC = jikes

even today's HEAD compiles and does some regressions tests:

it says 10 fail, but I find:
10 of 144 tests failed
Please report to kaffe at kaffe.org

test/regression/CLTestConc.fail         test/regression/InnerTest.fail
test/regression/DoubleCvt.fail          test/regression/TestUnlock.fail
test/regression/DoublePrint.fail        test/regression/ThreadState.fail

many regressions gave warnings during jikes compile...

This means also one interesting thing: I'd be very careful in making
JIKES the DEFAULT compiler.

-Riccardo